Monday, July 14, 2008

Dr. Kim Riddlebarger on Baptism

My road to Reformed Theology has been a bumpy one. Perhaps the greatest obstacle for me to overcome has been on the issue of baptism: paedobaptism or credobaptism? Which is scriptural?

Coming from a Roman Catholic background, infant baptism has never appeared strange to me, but upon my conversion, in a Pentecostal church, it suddenly became a foreign practice. I guess it was a reaction to the faulty understanding of Catholicism's view on the sacrament of baptism. Thus, embracing infant baptism, as the Reformed have always taught, has been unsettling in my theology. Dr. Kim Riddlebarger's lecture on the sacraments have been invaluable and revolutionary in my thinking, especially with the covenantal aspects of the sacrament of baptism. The link below is Dr. Kim Riddlebarger's, also the Reformed, response to the common Baptist objections and criticisms to infant baptism, or paedobaptism.

Baptist Objections to Infant Baptism and the Reformed Response

No comments: